The Twins put together a decent weekend in Kansas City with a series win for the first time in weeks. It was great to see Ryan Doumit get home runs from both sides of the plate on Sunday and Sam Deduno was able to pick up his first professional victory. Only a couple days before, Casey Fien had earned his first professional victory when the Twins won on Friday night. Now the team will head to Chicago to face a White Sox team that limped out of the weekend by being swept in Detroit.
As the trade deadline starts to sneak closer, it is going to be interesting to see what the Twins are able to get for some of their veteran players. For now, sit back and enjoy this edition of "Links-N-Thinks."
- Every team can feel a little stress at the trade deadline.
- The affiliation of Twins minor league teams might be changing in the very near future so let the affiliation dance begin.
- For those that need help, here is a trade deadline cheat sheet for the Twins.
- It sounds like the Yankees have already asked about acquiring Denard Span but the Twins are asking for "a ton."
- A recent draft pick for the Red Sox was in the middle of a terrible stretch of play in the GCL. His final at-bat of the summer came on Friday against the GCL Twins and he ended the season 0-39 with 37 strikeouts.
- In a recently released documentary, Twins top prospect Miguel Sano is one of the 16-year old players followed before he signs with the Twins.
- Nick Blackburn is back with the Twins and it is still tough to know what to expect from him.
- Former Twins masher Jim Thome continued his climb up the all-time home run list by passing Sammy Sosa.
- Earlier in the season, Johan Santana had the first no-hitter in Mets history and he has struggled since that point.
- The Twins and the Royals wore throwback uniforms over the weekend to honor the Negro Leagues. After looking at this picture, it is hard to believe that Ben Revere didn't get hit.
- Six new members were elected to the Irish-American Baseball Hall of Fame and one of the new inductees is former Twins manager Tom Kelly.
- If there were an inner circle of the Hall of Fame, who would make the cut?
- The Post Office released their much anticipated new stamps featuring four baseball legends. No former Twins made the cut.
- Small ads will start to appear on the jersey's of NBA players next season so does that mean that baseball will be the next sport to join this revenue stream?
- It's funny to watch Prince Fielder try to slide and it isn't just because he is a large man.
- With the trade deadline approaching, it is time to figure out what Terry Ryan should do.
- Francisco Liriano might be the Twins best trade chip when it comes to restocking their pitching inventory.
- Bert Blyleven offered up an amazing quote in response to all of the things Reggie Jackson said about Blyleven and others not being worthy of the HOF.
- Earlier in the week, Joe Mauer made a tremendous diving catch in foul territory.
My Weekly Rundown:
- Monday: Hicks following the path laid by Hunter, Span
- Tuesday: Tuesday Morning Tidbits
- Tuesday's Trip through the Minors
- Wednesday: Calcaterra wins 2012 Joe Posnanski Award
Video of the Week: Oswaldo Arcia might be putting together a season that will place him very close to the top of the Twins prospect list. He started the year at Fort Myers and quickly outgrew his spot in High-A ball. Now he is playing well for the New Britain Rock Cats and he made the team a winner with this walk-off home run.