To the surprise of many experts and fans, the Twins are still sitting around the .500 mark. The team recorded their 12th win on the first day of May. Last year, the Twins didn't record win number 12 until May 17 so it is easy to see that the club is off to a better start.
The first month of the minor league season ended and many of the Twins top prospects are doing very well. Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton put up numbers to have themselves in the discussion for best hitter in the minors. Kyle Gibson, Alex Meyer, and Trevor May have all shown positive signs on the mound.
There were plenty of other stories from the week in baseball. Let's take a look at this week's edition of "Friday Links-N-Thinks."
- It was a tough choice picking out the Minor League Player of the Month. Who won Byron Buxton or Miguel Sano?
- Both Buxton and Sano top this list of the best minor league players through April. Their actual ranking in the post is "Conflagrent."
- Baseball America named the Fort Myers Miracle as April's top team in the minors.
- The folks at Baseball America also named a couple of Twins players to their All-Prospect Team for April.
- Mike Pelfrey has been frustrating to watch so maybe it's time to put Pelf on the shelf.
- What is the matter with Joe Mauer? Or maybe it is nothing at all...
- Have the Twins already won the Francisco Liriano trade?
- Compared to the last two seasons, the Twins start this year has to bode well for the club.
- Is there a pitching resurgence in Minnesota?
- Glen Perkins sure came through for a Twins fan on Twitter. Maybe I should hit him up for tickets the next time I am in town.
- So Liam Henriks baseball cards can be worth $380!?! It's a rare card but still...
- Aaron Hicks hit his first career triple on a 101 mph pitch from Bruce Rondon. It was the fastest pitch hit for extra bases since 2010 and then he did his best Superman impression.
- It's tough to see a future Hall of Famer go out this way.
- Delmon Young made his first appearance with the Phillies and proceeded to smack a home run.
- The bat used (possibly) by Roger Maris to tie Babe Ruth's all-time HR mark is up for auction.
- Would MLB be better without the playoffs?
- Former big league pitcher and actor from the movie "Little Big League" passed away this week.
- Last month was the strikeout-i-est April in baseball history. Some members of the Twins helped to make this a reality.
- A.J. Pierzynski returned to Chicago for the first time as a member of the Rangers and he was hit by a pitch in his first at-bat.
- The seven most mammoth home runs of April include one former Twins player.
- Here are the candidates for longest name of the year in baseball.
My Weekly Rundown:
- Monday: Talk to Contact: Episode 35
- Tuesday: How valuable is Eduardo Escobar?
- Wednesday: The Future of Ron Gardenhire
- Minor League Report (5/1): Darnell Dominates
- Thursday: Miracle Blogapalooza: Game Balls
Video of the Week: The first episode of the Miracle Insider Show came out at the end of last week. Since the club was named as the best team in the minors for the first month of the year, it seems only fitting for fans to take a behind the scenes look at the club. Miracle shortstop Stephen Wickens and pitcher Ryan O'Rourke are each featured in the episode. If you are a fan of the Twins minor league system, it is a must watch series to follow.